Let us now sing an Ode to the Commode; who knew there were so many different toilets to choose from? Those of us in the bathroom design and remodeling business and anyone who is in the process of building or remodeling a bathroom, that's who.
While choosing the right toilet may not be one of the most exciting points when you're brainstorming Chicago bathroom remodeling ideas but it is a relatively important one consider that the toilet actually is the main reason bathrooms exist in the first place...
(Less) Exciting Chicago Bathroom Remodeling Ideas: Which Toilet Tickles Your Fanny...er...Fancy?
So, let's get right down to it, shall we? Here is a mini-lesson on toilets and all the variety of options available to you and your family.
Comfort height. Comfort height toilets are a couple inches taller than their standard counterparts but those couple of inches makes a big difference if you are taller, older, heavier or have joints that give you problems. They are ADA-compliant and are used in any home built to include accessible or universal design tenets.
Bells and whistles. Okay, so we've yet to see commodes with real bells and whistles but remote control, electric options are available. These toilets were popularized by Japan years ago. They were the topic of many a funny news program...until more Americans began realizing how nice they were. Kohler's Numi toilet is a prime example, which features amenities like heated seats, warm water washes and heated bum dries (yes! no crevice is left wet or cold), a BlueTooth receiver so you can stream your favorite music, ambient lighting with optional color choices, and more. The remote control touch-screen is mounted on the wall so the toilet has a very modern, lever-free aesthetic.
Soft Close Seats and other features. If the Numi sounds like it's a bit more than anyone in your family needs, consider a lesser high-tech version on the high-tech toilet market. You can choose your pleasure. Modern toilet features include things like:
- Soft-close lids and seats. The same engineers that saved us from banging cabinet doors have created soft-close hinges for toilets too. No more late night and early morning wakeups when you-know-who uses the toilet.
- Seat warmers. If you thought heated flooring was overrated, just wait until you've sat down on a warm toilet seat in the wee hours of the morning. They're an easy sell!
- Dual-flush. Those who are interested in eco-friendly building practices may want to consider the dual-flush options, which allow you to control the amount of water used by the commode, depending on whether it's a Number 1 or Number 2 bathroom visit.
- Skid-resistant. Wow! Well, the name says it all. Let's just say that if a member of your family is apt to leave little presents behind when he/she uses the Dual option on your dual-flush toilet, you'll also appreciate skid-resistant features.
- One-piece or two. Traditionally, tanks and bowls are separate. However, many modern toilet designs incorporate the two into a single-piece unit.
So, feeling well-versed on toilet options available for your Chicago bathroom remodel? Come on down to Kitchens & Baths Unlimited to learn more about them in person.