Your Chicago kitchen remodeling project should meet several criteria, above and beyond aesthetics. It should result in a functional kitchen design, completed with high-quality products and craftsmanship that will stand the test of time - and your family's day-to-day kitchen use.
The following kitchen remodeling tips will help you make the decisions that lead to the kitchen remodel of your dreams.
- Work with a professional kitchen designer. Make sure you take the time to meet with a professional kitchen designer. This doesn't mean you have to hire them on the spot. But, investing in professional consultations in the beginning, or as you're stymied by questions or concerns, will make sure your kitchen includes the things you want, as well as the little extras you might not have thought of.
- Invest in high-quality products. When it comes to kitchen cabinets, countertops, appliances, and lighting, you get what you pay for. Invest in high-quality products that will look and function the way you want them to, long after the workmen have left the workspace. Keep in mind that higher-quality products usually have higher-quality warranties.
- Maximize your space. One of the most prudent kitchen remodeling tips: Don't waste a spare inch of your kitchen. This is where a kitchen design professional can really come in handy. Consider things like floor-to-ceiling cabinetry, which optimizes your storage space and eliminates the dead area between the cabinets and the ceilings. Use the space alongside your refrigerators or other appliances to include built-in pantry spaces.
- Stained or painted? Natural wood cabinetry is gorgeous, there's no doubt about it. However, cabinet stains trend in and out, and stained cabinets are more difficult to change. If you are someone who likes to keep extremely current, you may want to choose painted cabinets instead so you can change the look of your cabinets on a more regular basis.
- Custom kitchen islands. Kitchen islands have become so much more than simply extra prep space. Consider how your family utilizes your kitchen and then design a custom island to match - appliances, seated bar space, extra storage or shelves for cookbooks are all options.
- Keep your interior design consistent. Keep your kitchen finishes in alignment with your existing interior design. This is especially important if you have an open floor plan, where your view continues from one end of the home to the other.
- Make sure your finishes are appropriate for your family. When selecting your finishes, it's important that they mesh with your family's kitchen use. For example, a family with young children should shy away from marble countertops that are stained or marred more readily than harder surfaces. Integrated kitchens, using cabinet facing on appliances may be a preferred to stainless steel finishes, which are trendy but are smudged and printed quickly by fingers and pet noses.
Ready to brainstorm ideas for an upcoming Chicagoland project? Kitchen & Baths Unlimited has all the kitchen remodeling tips you need to build the ideal custom kitchen for your family.